Road Traffic Offences
Road Traffic Offences – Summary Only
The SRA Transparency rules (‘The rules’) require that we provide clear information in relation to our legal fees as to summary only motoring offences under Part 1 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. The rules relate to matters which are dealt with at a single hearing; should the matter proceed to trial or not be dealt with at one hearing, your instructed solicitor will provide you with information as to the likely overall cost of your matter, both at the time of engagement and as the matter progresses.
In relation to all road traffic matters we offer a no obligation, fixed fee appointment of £300 plus VAT so that you can meet with one of our experts in order to discuss the allegation you face. This meeting is paid for in advance or on the day of the meeting. This will include:
• Discussing the case and considering any paperwork you may have received.
• Receiving advice as to the most appropriate plea.
• Informing you as to the court procedure so that you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, if applicable.
• Providing advice on the sentencing options available at court.
• After this meeting you can chose whether you wish to instruct us to act for you further and the following fees will then apply.
Trial (not guilty plea) including sentence hearing Plus VAT
Guilty plea including sentence hearing Plus VAT
|Drink or drug driving, drunk in charge or driving whilst unfit (alcohol/drugs)||£3,500-£8,000||£3,000-£5,000|
|Driving without due care and attention||£2,400-£5,000||£2,000-£4,000|
|Using a mobile phone or digital device||£2,000-£3,000||£1,500-2,500|
|Notice of Intended Prosecution||–||£500-£1,500|
|Failure to provide a specimen for analysis||£2,000-£3,000||£1,500-2,500|
|Failure to stop or report a road traffic accident||£2,000-£3,000||£1,500-2,500|
|Driving whilst disqualified||£2,400-£5,000||£2,000-£4,000|
These fees include:
• Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court by one of our experienced Solicitors and junior Counsel
• Considering the evidence
• Providing advice in relation to plea and likely sentence and advising in relation to mitigation
• Advice on the options available to the court in relation to sentencing
• Advice on whether an exceptional hardship, or special reasons argument should be made
• Representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates’ Court
• These fees will not include:
• Taking statements from, and examination of witnesses
• Advice on an appeal
• Advice as to sourcing or instructing expert witnesses
• The preparation of plans / photographs / alcohol back-tracking calculations
• Initial Interview (post-charge / pre-Court)
• Review of the Prosecution Evidence
• Representation at the Magistrates Court for the first appearance by one of our experienced solicitors or submission of a written not guilty plea to include witness requirements and dates to avoid.
• Obtaining your written instructions and comments on the Prosecution Evidence
• Preparing Witness Statements
• Drafting Defence Statement if appropriate
• Considering the Prosecution’s Unused Material
• Representation at trial / sentence
These fees would not include:
• travel costs
• Expert’s fees
• the preparation of plans / photographs / alcohol back-tracking calculations
• Representation on any appeal
Additional mitigation plea’s that are not included in the above
Cost Plus VAT
|Totting Up or Exceptional Hardship Plea||£500-£1,500|
*The above figures relate to a typical case where you enter a guilty plea, a date has been set the Prosecution provide paperwork in a timely fashion, the Court can accommodate your hearing on the first listing and your cooperation with the provision of instructions and the matter is dealt with at one hearing.
There are cases where a more personal approach is required. In this instance, we will need to discuss with you whether instructing us on an hourly rate is more appropriate.
Hourly rate will depend on the level of experience.
Trial (not guilty plea) including sentence hearing
Guilty plea including sentence hearing
|Speeding||15-22 hours||10-20 hours|
|Drink or drug driving, drunk in charge or driving whilst unfit (alcohol/drugs)||20-40 hours||15-35 hours|
|Driving without due care and attention||18-28 hours||12-22 hours|
|Dangerous driving||20-45 hours||15-37 hours|
|Using a mobile phone or digital device||12-15 hours||10-18 hours|
|No Insurance||12-15 hours||8-6 hours|
|Notice of Intended Prosecution||–||1-2 hours|
|Failure to provide a specimen for analysis||12-15 hours||8-6 hours|
|Failure to stop or report a road traffic accident||£2,000-£3,000||3-5 hours|
|Driving whilst disqualified||12-15 hours||8-6 hours|
|Exceptional hardship plea||5-15 hours||5-15 hours|
|Special reasons||6-18 hours||6-18 hours|